Coastal Magic Con Adventures!

Coastal Magic Con 2018 Alethea Kontis Denise D Young

With the lovely Alethea Kontis at this year’s Coastal Magic Con.

The Dreaming Gina BrigantiIt’s been an amazing, wonderful, joy-filled week and a half. I spent six days in beautiful Daytona Beach, Florida, at this year’s Coastal Magic Con. I made a few friends, including the lovely Gina Briganti, whose book, The Dreaming, I can’t wait to read, and Nancy Holland, who just published Thalgor’s Witch, the book of her heart. I also met too many wonderful authors to name, folks like Wendy Owens, Alethea Kontis, and Leanna Renee Hieber, who seem like such sweet, creative souls! I left with more books than I could ever possibly read, and a spirit filled with inspiration and buoyed by the energy of so many writers, readers, and bloggers gathered together in one place.

I’ve now returned to the mountains of Virginia, curling up with a cup of tea and trying to get out of vacation mode and back into writing mode. I have a novel critique to finish by Friday, and some lessons plans to do for Friday’s ESL class. And, of course, I have more WIPs than I can manage, all jostling and clamoring for attention. A Prince in Patience Point has a new opening and a fresh direction, and I’ve realized I really need to work out Neal’s character arc before I dig into the next draft. I’m also looking for Regency-inspired fantasy stories as research for that story, so if you Thalgors Witch Nancy Hollandknow of any, please leave your recommendations in the comments! And revisions to Spellfire’s Kiss are under way as well.

It’s been a big week writing-wise too. I had a short story accepted for publication in a magazine (Squee!!!), and received a request for a full manuscript from an editor at a publishing house. Like I said, a big, full week.

My mind is overflowing with new information and endless possibilities. The trick in the coming days will be to focus my energy and get some words on the page.

The trick, I think, is to do some grounding. Journaling helps me to get all of the ideas and information out of my head and onto the page, and meditation helps me to center and ground myself. I have some grounding stones I can use—maybe some black tourmaline or shungite?

My energy cycles seem to be closely tied to the cycles of the earth, and as the daffodils and crocuses bloom and the temperatures warm, I find myself reenergized, waking like the sleeping earth. Of course, for most of us, energy ebbs and flows, and that’s natural, but I look forward to long afternoon walks and mornings sitting outside listening to birdsong and writing on the patio.

Is spring returning where you are? Have you ever attended a convention or writing conference? I’d love to hear from you!

9 thoughts on “Coastal Magic Con Adventures!

1. Heather R. Holden says:

Wow, you’ve been busy! Have never been to a con myself, but the one you went to sounds like so much fun. And many congrats on that short story acceptance, as well as the manuscript request! That’s beyond amazing news!

Heather, I think you would’ve enjoyed it. It was mostly urban fantasy/paranormal romance based, but I think there were some comic book artists there as well. Maybe something for the future? I definitely plan to go again. Thank you! 🙂

2. Madeline Mora-Summonte says:

Congratulations on the accepted story and the requested ms!

I love that energy you get when you return from a conference, but you’re right about finding a way to focus it. Otherwise, it just kind of splatters and splutters and dies out.

3. karenmcfarland says:

Mmm. Daytona Beach. That sound wonderful Denise. I would have a tough time getting back into the groove too, if I were you. Sounds like you’re on your way, filled with ideas and motivation, ready to put onto the page. Good things are coming your way! Congrats girl! 🙂

It was wonderful! The hardest part has been adjusting to the weather. It was in the 70s in Virginia when we got back, but now it’s in the 30s and snowing–yikes! I am sooo ready for summer. I want to sit outside, sip iced tea, and read/write/create. Can’t wait for warmer days! Thank you, Karen! 🙂

4. www.ginabriganti.com says:

They named that convention right! It was literally magic on the coast! Spending time with you and the hubs there was a highlight of the con for me. Thank you for mentioning me, and my first fiction baby, “The Dreaming”.

Congratulations on your short story, and on your manuscript request! You are a talented storyteller, and it can only be a matter of timing before many, many more people enjoy your art.