Round 3 of A Round of Words in 80 Days is here. For me, this round is going to be all about getting some stories out into the world. My novelette The Beltane Kiss just came back from the proofreader, and I’ve added her corrections and started formatting the document. Yay!
By the end of the year, I plan to have several books out. How many depends on my ability to streamline the revision process and how quickly I can get books to my editor and proofreader and on their schedules. If I am able to proceed with the publishing schedule I want, I might need to have multiple editors and proofreaders so I’m not monopolizing someone else’s time.
I’ve also decided to start submitting my fantasy short stories to magazines. I’ve found a few that pay decently and I would get to keep the rights to my stories, meaning that after a certain amount of time I could self-publish those stories or put them in short story collections or anthologies.
Ideally, here’s what I would like to publish this year:
- The Beltane Kiss, a novelette
- The Faerie Key, a novelette
- Spellfire’s Kiss, a novella
- A Prince in Patience Point, a novel
- Five fairy tale retellings (novelette length—about 12-15K each)
That seems like a lot, but most of those stories are pretty close to finished; they just need some editing and polishing. The fairy tale retellings have a way to go, but I’m hoping that in July and August I can finish first drafts of those stories and get them to beta readers and critique partners.
All of that being said, here are my goals for this round. I’m also a sponsor, so I’ll be keeping up with those duties as well.
ROW80 Round 3 Goals
- Write first drafts of five fairy tale retellings, including Winter Faerie, Red in the Woods, and Silver Waters.
- Write a second draft of Goblins and Grimoires.
- Revise, polish and format for publication later this year…
- Polish and format The Beltane Kiss and The Faerie Key for publication in September.
- Revise A Prince in Patience Point and send to editor.
- Revise Spellfire’s Kiss and send to editor.
- Revise Spirits of Embers and submit to magazines.
- Read four books on the craft/business of writing, including…
- The Anatomy of Story by John Truby
- How to Craft Short Fiction by Damon Knight
- On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel that Sells by Leigh Michaels
- Continue with my goal to read 65 books this year.
- Exercise three times a week.
- Paint downstairs, including living room, kitchen/dining room, hallway, and closet.
A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life. Click here to cheer on fellow participants.
What about you? What are your goals for the next few months?