It went by in a flash, but round 2 of A Round of Words in 80 Days is over. I met some of my goals for this round, but my main goal, to finish a draft of my novella “Good Old-Fashioned Magic” is one I didn’t meet. Still, I’m happy with my progress. Here’s the wrap-up:
- I finished a draft of a short story, tentatively titled “Midwinter Bride: The Goblin Master’s Tale.”
- About a quarter of the way through revisions to “Good Old-Fashioned Magic,” a novella of about 35K.
- My goal was to read four books on the business/craft of writing. I read five: “Rise of the Machines: Human Authors in a Digital World” by Kristen Lamb, “Rock Your Revisions” by Cathy Yardley, “Sometimes the Magic Speaks” by Terry Brooks, “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft” by Stephen King, and “Revision and Self-Editing” by James Scott Bell (a reread).
- I didn’t do as well with my social media goals as I did last round, but I’d say I met them 75 percent of the time, which isn’t too bad.
So, I met some goals, and didn’t meet others. But I learned a lot about writing and, more specifically, my writing process during this round:
- I learned that slow periods are a natural part of the writing process, and that what’s most important is that we keep going.
- I learned that I need to be kinder to myself when I, being human and imperfect, fail to reach a goal. I can take lessons from a failure without beating myself up. I’m still working on this.
- I discovered a process of revision that works for me. Instead of revising in order, I’m tackling the scenes with the biggest issues first and working from there. Since I’m bouncing between chapters, it’s harder to track my progress. But as long as every day the manuscript is getting better, I can rest assured I’m heading in the right direction.
I’m almost halfway through my first year as a full-time writer, and I’m happy to see myself growing and improving, mastering new aspects of the writing process and developing a process that works for me.
What about you? What lessons did you learn in round 2? How much progress did you make toward your goals?
A Round of Words in 80 Days is a blog hop. Click here to cheer on fellow ROWers.