The other night, I felt this restlessness creeping up on me. It always happens when I’m bored, and I told my husband about it. Without missing a beat, he simply said, “You need a hobby.”
Well, he’s right. When I had a day job, my spare time was filled with writing, so storytelling—at that time a second job/career—filled up that space in my life. But now I’m writing full time, and I can fill that space with something else. For the sake of work-life balance, I don’t want to spend every spare moment of my life writing, tempting as that might be.
Just like any other artist, I need to fill the well of creativity, and that’s exactly what hobbies allow us to do. Whether it’s fencing or quilting, writers need to be more than writers. Personally, I’d like to take up gardening, but all I have is a space for a few containers on my balcony, so that doesn’t take up too much of my time. Plus, there’s something special about connecting with the soil, the earth—a connection I don’t feel when container gardening. That hobby will have to wait until I have a yard.
So one of my quests for this month is to find something besides writing to fill my days and nights—and to ensure that the well of creativity doesn’t run dry.
“How vain it is to sit down to write when one has not stood up to live.” –Henry David Thoreau
Midweek ROW80 check-in
- Finish the second draft of the novella I finished in Round 1, “Good Old-Fashioned Magic.” Finished the read-through and made editing notes for each scene. I’ll spend the rest of this week working on the scene chart and character bios, which I left unfinished when I was caught up in writing the first draft. Next week, I’m digging into revising!
2.) Read 4 books on the craft/business of writing.
- 3 of 4 books read so far. I’m taking this week off to read a personal finance book.
3.) Social media:
- Check in on Twitter daily. On track to meet this goal.
- Comment on 3-5 blogs per day, Monday-Thursday. So far, so good.
- Blog 2 times a week. On track.
A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life. It’s also a blog hop!
What about you? Do you find that having a hobby enriches your writing? What’s your favorite pastime aside from writing?