January has been flying by—polar vortexes and all. 2014 is my first year of full-time writing, and I know it’s going to be a year of changes, of expanding my horizons as a writer, of setting new goals, and of starting new projects and hopefully finishing a few existing ones.
Now that there’s less than one week left in the first month of the year, my ROW80 goals are ready for a little updating. This isn’t a major revamp so much as it is a minor adjustment as I get in the groove of my new writing routine.
Here are my slightly adjusted writing goals for Round 1 of ROW80:
- Finish a draft of my WIP, “Good, Old-Fashioned Magic.” The final word count should be about 30K, and I’m about 8K in, so that means about 2,700 to 3,000 words per week to reach that goal by the end of this round. My previous goal was to write and revise a chapter per week, but I’m finding that I need a little more distance from freshly written material. I might revise chapters as I prepare to send them to my crit group instead of immediately after writing them.
- Read to hone my craft, including the following books:
- Roz Morris’ “Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix, and Finish with Confidence” (finished!)
- Donald Maass’ “The Fire in Fiction” (started)
- Julia Cameron’s “Walking in This World” (started)
- Stephen King’s “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft”
- NOTE: This goal is staying the same. Most of the books include exercises or tasks to be completed, so it’s not as simple as reading each chapter—I also need to complete the “homework” to get the most out of each book.
- Blog at least two times a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays. This goal is also staying the same.
- Check in on Twitter daily (Monday-Friday) and on WANA Tribe at least once/week. My previous goals didn’t include any social media.
- Comment on 5-6 blogs per day, Monday-Thursday. This is mostly part of my role as a ROW80 sponsor, though I’ll be visiting other blogs as well. I usually take weekends off to unplug and be with my family, and I think I’ll need Fridays to do some writing for the next goal…
- Super-secret project: This is a new one that I’m adding (as Jennette Marie Powell suggested I should in one of her comments!). I’ll just say that I’m working on a non-writing related website, hopefully to be launched later this year. I’m in the process of creating content, so I’m aiming to write two articles/posts each week for that project.
The past week in summary:
- Wrote 2,413 words in the third chapter of “Good, Old-Fashioned Magic.” Sent chapter two to crit partners.
- Finished reading Morris’ book, started reading Maass’ “The Fire in Fiction,” and read this week’s chapter in Cameron’s book.
- Blogged Wednesday and Sunday.
- Visited at least six or seven blogs per day, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- Checked in on Twitter Tuesday-Thursday. I missed Monday and Friday. Not sure if I checked in on WANA Tribe this week or not.
- Wrote one post/article for the super-secret project. I have a few more from previous weeks that I need to edit before they’re ready to go and a couple of ideas scribbled down for posts I need to write.
Have you had to tweak your goals for this ROW80 round? If so, what did you change and why?